OK, I officially cannot believe my good fortune to have my new job. I like it, it's even a little bit fun, and I think it's going to work out great in either the short or long term. It'll be long term unless I am hired for the dream job of my choice and/or the news on April 28 is not favorable. But regardless, I remain a lifetime subscriber to the belief that where God closes a door, he opens a window. It has happened many times in my life, and I've almost come to expect it. It's always the same: cruddy event occurs followed thereafter by something good, ranging from mildly positive to absolutely wonderful.Aron and I were reading Tibetan Tales for Little Buddhas, a book we checked out from the library. One of the stories involves a little boy, to whom numerous seemingly bad events occur. But with each event, his father says, "Indeed it seems unfortunate that this has occurred, but who can say what is good fortune or bad?"
I LOVE that idea. Why label something from the outset? Why point your finger at it and say, "BAD!"? My dear friend Karen put it to me like this: there is a yes and no question to everything in the universe. It either is or it isn't, it either will or won't be. This is the way of things, and this will never be changed.
Last summer I failed the bar. I may very well fail it again. It's not outside the realm of possibility. And I might not. But life has to go on either way. And who can say that failing the bar the first time was bad fortune? I've been able to be with my sons; I have enjoyed the taxes and toil of motherhood in the trenches. And, I've had other opportunities I might not otherwise have had.
Door open, door closed. Yes, no. It is or it isn't.
Accepting this way of things is an incredible release. Are you stressing because something isn't going your way? I wonder, what is so wonderful about your way, and can't you imagine that things can proceed positively on a path other than the one you design or expect?
Not even you are constant. You are open or closed, depending on the moment. If all things are in flux, then perhaps the best plan of action to hold to your global intentions or ideals: to be kind, to be honest, to be hard-working, to be loving, to be respectful, to be an example to those who might learn from you.
This concept is similar to those I learned from my favorite professor, Dr. Michael J. Bugeja, while I was in journalism school. In fact, it's hard to pinpoint all the individual lessons I learned about ethics from Dr. B. At this point, his teachings have melded to my consciousness and are part of the way I approach life. Isn't that the way of a truly effective teacher?
But, back to my point. Accept that no matter what happens, or how it appears to negatively impact you, there might be chance that something good will come of it. So, who can tell if it is good fortune or bad? You can't. Just accept it. Be you. And move along.
No comments:
Post a Comment