Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just another pretty face. GREAT.

Ok, so we are clear, I stated earlier that I do not share Sarah Palin's political views and do not appreciate that the GOP would dangle her in front of my face as a substitute for (or, in their opinion, an improvement over) Senator Clinton. This was when I assumed I knew what she was all about: cute GOP cheerleader who is capable and adept. I should not have assumed.

What I truly didn't see coming was her utter lack of preparedness, substance and skill to function on the national and international stage. Yep, her interviews are absurd and joke worthy. But they are so embarassing. As a woman, I am embarassed.

Enough of this win popular vote, lose electoral vote crap: I want the 2008 election to be a mandate from the people. But I never wanted this woman to fail based on her merits, because that's a tragedy for all women. "She's still got more experience than Obama," I've heard some say. You must be kidding. Her example: Alaska, with its population of less than one million, is a heartbeat from Russia. That's her international experience. Heck, just read (or, more painful, watch) the interviews. Then you'll "have get back to" me.

I still believe that a woman can run this nation. Just not this woman. I will be interested to see what happens in the debate Thursday.

And check out Dooce's take on it. Traci turned me on to this blog -- it's sooper!

From The Christian Science Monitor's website, a Palin quote about the bailout, VERBATIM: “That’s why I say I, like every American I’m speaking with, we’re ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out,” she explained. “But ultimately what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Helping the — it’s got to be all about job creation too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans and trade — we’ve got to see trade as opportunity, not as competitive, scary thing, but one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today — we’ve got to look at that as more opportunity.”

I ask you, SERIOUSLY ... wha? It's painful to read/listen to this. I made more coherent arguments when I competed in debate/public speaking in high school.

1 comment:

Traci said...

i love this post.

you need to read this post and then read the comments...some might make your head spin:

http://athenabees.blogspot.com/2008/09/tell-me.html