Well, the guy pled to both charges this morning; not lesser charges, but the original charges of domestic violence and obstruction of official business. This was after some tense moments when the judge basically was not going to allow the guy to plead because the jury was there and everyone was ready to go.
In chambers the defense attorney and I met with the judge, because we had evidentiary issues to discuss; we were primarily the 911 call. Long story short, the courtroom has no way to play digital computer files. I had to bring my own laptop in to play the .wav file. My laptop cord promptly exploded when I plugged it in. I could play the 911 tape for the judge, but there was no way that my battery life would last for the remainder of the trial. Partially as a result of that, the judge allowed the plea and released the jury.
I'm relieved we got a conviction, because it was vital in getting these people the help they needed. I'm tapped out on adrenaline, though.
Kurt took yesterday afternoon off to watch the kids so I could prepare. And Jim took more time and gave me more specific advice than anyone else to help me get ready. You guys rock.
Moderately bummed that I didn't get a chance to try the case, though. I had almost 10 witnesses. I was ready to party, so to speak. Ah well, it's going to happen at some point in the future.
Friday, August 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, congrats anyway! Your first victory in court! You go girl!!!
hugs,
traci
Yeah, congrats anyway! You are now a winning prosecutor!
Post a Comment