I look for a new job every day. Not because I hate my job now, because I don't; I love it. I look for a new job because my current job pays sheeeeyit. Actually, it pays less than that.
But some of my favorite sites are like this one, which is posted on my school's online alumni career center. Scroll down and check how they basically don't want your resume unless you when to at least a top 40 school, and beyond that you'll have to be top of your class. These are the jobs that pay through the spleen. Sure, you work 100 hours a week, leaving you just 68 hours to sleep, eat and drive back and forth to work. But you get paid. And for a few years, that would be nice.
What I'm really jealous of is that somewhere someone is under the impression that these other young lawyers are smarter or better researchers/writers ('cause they ain't litigating crap for at least five years or more) than me because U.S. News & World Report rated their school much, much higher than my fourth-tier alma mater. Put me in same room with those people, and give me a file and a computer. I dare you to tell the difference between my work and theirs.
Bah. Sour grapes. Too bad I can't put "had two kids in law school" on my resume. Then I would totally get the job. NOT.
Plus, I'm also fairly hacked that every job I look at won't give you the time of day until you've been an attorney for three years. Most want five or ten years of prior experience. I need a career remote with a fast-forward button.
And, frankly, I'm really tired of being poor. I know, aren't we all? But when I look at that stack of bills every month, all I can think of is that yes, I really, really wanted to be a lawyer, but it doesn't seem worth it.
I have never been under the impression this would be easy. Especially since Jim has been lawyering for almost three years now and he told me, multiple times, that the grass was not greener on the other side of the bar exam. I accepted that. But it's easier to nod your head in agreement that the river is deep than to tread water when you're neck deep in the middle of it.
Sorry. I know you stop by for the funnies. But they can't all be good days. So sue me. I know a good lawyer who can't get a job and has all the time in the world to deal with this.
Friday, July 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment