Monday, May 15, 2006

I'm sorry, isn't it 2006?

Today I went to court for my first client. It went really well, and I got him released on his on recognizance, but with house arrest.

But on the weird note, I show up at the office to run my arguments by Allie (attorney with whom I share an office). She says, "Where are you arguing today?" I tell her. She giggles. "Not in that outfit, you're not." I was wearing a tan pants suit with black pinstripes.

She proceeds to tell me that this simple country judge I am set to argue in front of insists that all the women who appear in his courtroom are to wear skirts or dresses. If they refuse, they have to wear a collared shirt and a tie. Yes, you read that right. A TIE. Finally, if you appear without such approved garb, you are permitted to be in court with your client but you may NOT SPEAK. That's right folks. Welcome to 1952.

So I run home and change. Problem is that I haven't purchased a skirt in years, because in Columbus (a civilized town?), a pants suit turns no heads. So I have about ten of them, collecting them over the years thinking that they were actually professional. Anyway, the skirt is a few seasons old (when hemlines were a bit higher) and a bit too short (one inch above the knee cap) for my old married woman's taste.

So basically, I felt like a piece of meat for hire today. But the judge was kind (go figure, the skirt came to the mid-thigh sitting down, so you do the math) and the prosecuting attorney was very nice to me, too (word on the street is that he's just a nice guy). Anyway, I got my client out of jail so he could go home to his family, so it was worth the draft on my backside.

Just taking it on the chin for justice. That's my lot in life now, I guess.

And now, to the mall to get some skirt suits.

5 comments:

Traci said...

All I have to say is "wow." So much for women's liberation and all that. Do the men have any special requirements when it comes to their clothing? I bet not. That is sexism at it's worst. I'm shocked, just speechless (and we all know that nothing renders me speechless).

Summer said...

Good lord!

That is crazy. Reminds me of something I read in a Sweet Potato Queens' book, though. But I thought k-rap like that only happened in Mississippi -- guess not, and sorry to any peeps from MS who may be offended! LOL.

Mountain Mama said...

No, I'm working of counsel for Jim right now (e.g., a contractor) until I get my malpractice insurance and I can take on my own cases.

Mountain Mama said...

YEAH! Power to the people, right on!

I could, but the dude is like 69 years old and is running again, uncontested. He'll be on the bench for seven more years.

And as we say in the south, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

If you're interested in catching flies.

Traci said...

Well, you could change it up a bit and run against him! People like him think they are untouchable, I'm sure. Wouldn't that be a HOOT if a woman ran against him (in a pantsuit, no less) and won?

Yes, I have better things to do right now...but I'm obviously not doing them. :)