Thursday, May 25, 2006

Chicas rule

My girlz are BACK, and it's time to dust off my snake skin boots! You'll recall in 2003 that the Dixie Chicks were freaking ostracized by huge numbers of Americans when they stated they were embarassed that "President" George Bush was from Texas. Hell, I'm embarassed he's from this planet. Turns out that they were the first country singers willing to say what a lot of people had already been thinking: ol' W LIED to our country, for whatever misguided reasons he had, and started a war that is the Vietnam of our generation.

Trend setters? Patriots? Both.

I maintain that people everywhere need to take note of those few people who are willing to risk their reputations, careers, whatever to say what has to be said. The Chicks were not willing to tow the line, even in the early years of the war, just to appear patriotic. So when the Dixie Chicks produce a new CD or go on tour, I show my support.

Summer (and any other interested, super cool, free-thinking people) and I WILL be seeing these ladies as soon as they in concert are anywhere near Bittytown! And yes, Summer (and Jess, and Jaime) I PROMISE to dress up.

Arrgh, I guess I'd better let everyone else in. OK, here's the Cliff's Notes version: Madonna Concert tickets: $100. Gas from Bittytown to Detroit for sell out concert: $25. Tori wearing a T-shirt and shorts after giving birth to her 9 1/2 pound son three weeks prior: priceless, because the mocking hasn't stopped for almost five years.

We had to buy tickets to Madonna's Music Tour long before the concert date, and damn if we still didn't get stuck in the nosebleeds. I was tired, had just birthed Aron and frankly, when it came time to go to the concert, I just didn't want to. I felt fat, none of my clothes fit and I was barely awake enough to brush my hair. But, I went, only I dressed myself in the roomy, 100% cotton, mommy garb of my choice.

And yes, I embarassed the hell out of Summer and the rest of our mutual friends.

However, I promise to remember the sh*t Summer gave me for failing to dress properly for a Madonna concert three weeks after she's had her future kids. But until then, I won't live it down.

2 comments:

Summer said...

OK, stepping in to defend my maligned self. I don't recall having mentioned the outfit in a LONG, LOOOOOOONG time. LONG! Like way, way before Nate was even a twinkle in your eye. I'm sorry you're still agitated over it. We need to talk about possible Kenny Rogers tix, and did you know (or in "Coin World" saleslady-speak, "was you aware") that Wynonna's doing a concert in some park in C-bus this June? I'm in.

Mountain Mama said...

Was you aware that I would not malign you in the eyes of anyone!?! To all: She is smart, beautiful and never unkind. To think that my comments caused anyone's opinion of my dear Summer to turn? Why, I wouldn't hear of it!

I freely admit my concert faux pas! I vow ta do bettah.

Kenny Rogers? Check.
Wynonna? Check.

Gettin' lots of wear out of the snakeskin boots? CHECK!