Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Karma Chameleon

I haven't been alive as long as some, but I've become aware of some universal truths that cannot be denied. Here's one I see fairly often: whether you believe in hell or not, if you jack your Karma, you will live to regret it. Not die and regret it, LIVE and regret it.

There are ramifications for each misdeed, each bad decision, every wrong thought and action. And the ramifications occur in this lifetime.

OK, now this declaration is about as powerful and prophetic as my telling you that if you hold up an apple and let it go, it will fall to the ground. Gravity exists. Karma exists. I don't care what religion you consider yourself to adhere to, even if in your church/temple/synagogue there is no mention of the concept of Karma. Call it whatever you want, but the universe, by its very design, seeks equilibrium. It will right itself. A surplus in one area will be countered by a deficit in another. This is the way of things.

Of course, this is Karma (as fans of "My Name is Earl" will note). Having subscribed to this way of thinking for years, I note that in many instances, God's ways are NOT all that mysterious, especially where failure to act on your part, or an act motivated by a lack of thought or through intentionally negative acts, you will suffer in some way. And I believe that the beauty of this is not God's micromanagment of your life. You aren't being afflicted or punished because of retribution, ala hellfire and brimstone.

The universe was designed to seek neither good nor bad; it seeks nothing (e.g., the universe is constantly expanding; it's a scientifically proven fact). How does that play out here on Earth? "Bad" must be counteracted and corrected. Even too much "good" is counteracted and corrected. Because, as I have said before, what is good or bad?

Well, don't make excuses for yourself ... you KNOW if you've done wrong to yourself or another. And for less obvious events, the universe is figuring it out for you. Not good or bad, but yin and yang. But you are still primarily responsible for your accountability to the other souls on this planet. You are accountable.

So be the boss of you. Do good, be good. Then, it's all good.

No comments: