Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mos(tly) Deaf ... but not overprotective


I took Aron to a b-day party for one of his school pals yesterday. It was all boys. About 15 to 20 of them. Them kids is crazy. I honestly believe I have experienced some hearing loss from the event; I have felt this way after particularly loud concerts. Lollapalooza 1993, in particular.

Why didn't you drop him off and leave, you ask? Because in my line of work (particularly my work as a Guardian ad Litem), I have way too much knowledge about how, where and why "things" happen to little kids. It has caused sleepless nights, trust me. I won't share here because I want you, dear reader, to NOT have to carry the burden.

Anyway, until I am certain (1) I fully trust the people I am leaving my kid with, (2) I know exactly who will have access to my kid when I am not around, and finally (3) that my kid is assertive enough to anticipate dangerous situations and make every effort to extricate himself if necessary, I am not leaving my kid alone anywhere, with anyone.

Am I being too protective? Hmm. Well, what could have happened yesterday? Let's say he had to go to the bathroom (which he did). Consider the 9-year-old child whose aunt walked him to the public men's room, then waited outside while he was, well, you can read more about it if you care to. Point is, it only takes a MOMENT.

Bet you're also wondering if I take the boys to the women's bathroom with me. Hell yes, I do. And when I can't, for whatever reason, I stand outside the men's room and yell in every 10 seconds, waiting for an immediate response. I am like a sentinel.

Am I creating in my kids too much dependence on my vigilance? Let's be clear: parenting is a serious job with serious responsibilities. I will note that the first SIX pages of Aron's Tiger Cubs manual for Cub Scouts is all about these issues. Training and awareness begins very early for kids these days. But he's still just seven: 52 pounds of little, immature, innocent, beautiful boy. Teaching him to protect himself is just one of the many life lessons for which we as parents are responsible. And it takes time. Self-protection is high on the list of life lessons that WE intend to teach him, thus preventing the WORLD from having the first crack at it.

So the price I paid yesterday is some minor hearing loss. But my kid came home safe and that's all that matters.

No comments: