Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'm homeschooling them.

After spending another interesting day in training with the OSHP, I have decided that I am never letting my kids out of my sight. I learned stuff about drugs yesterday that has led me to the conclusion that my children must be somehow reattached to my body and forbidden from speaking to anyone who has not undergone a background check and a drug test. And any kid who comes to my house will have to consent to a search of his person for drugs. That's right, kiddies. Check your civil rights at my doorstep.

I cannot believe the poison kids will put in their bodies to get high.

I think the key is to keep your kids involved in sports, activities and school and then taking an interest yourself, too. If the kids are busy, and you're busy with them, the whole fam is involved. I'm telling you, idleness is the crack whore mother of the legions of jobless losers I see in court every day.

So, in an effort to put my money where my (big) mouth is, I have agreed to coach Aron's soccer team this year. Should be interesting, since I know virtually nothing about the sport. I was told by other coaches that at this age my lack of knowledge doesn't matter, I just have to keep them going for the goal, and make sure they're good sports while they're at it.

As parents, isn't what we all try to do anyway, whether there's a soccer ball in play or not?

2 comments:

MalyndaC said...

Awww, so awesome. You'll do great. Maya is doing soccer this fall. And dance. And Gymnastics. And Girl Scouts.

She has all that in a couple months and just swim lessons and open gym this summer.

Traci said...

You know, I've considered the same thing.

Homeschooling, not coaching soccer. :)

It is scary out there for kids. But I think if we, as parents, take our jobs seriously (which I know we both do!), then our kids should be OK.

I wonder though...was it this scary "out there" when we were kids?